We couldn’t be more excited about the prospect of winter finally arriving! There is finally a flurry of snow in the air and we’re already getting restless. There are just so many fun things to do in the winter. Summer tends to get all the attention, with the nice weather and the fun activities. And there’s no denying fall is almost unanimously everyone’s favourite in terms of the beauty (and PSLs). Winter is our underrated fav though.
We’ve started putting together a bucket list of all the things we want to do this winter. We hope it inspires you to create your own and experience all that winter has to offer! Maybe you’ll be inspired to try something new, or develop a newfound love for this coldest of seasons!
1. Christmas tree farm: We love the idea of visiting a Christmas tree farm! It’s even a new holiday tradition for Court. This is a great way to kick off the season because it really sets the tone for all things winter. Not only does it get you in the holiday spirit, it gets you outside and enjoying winter while it’s still relatively mild. Such a fun way to ease into the cold weather and the Christmas spirit! Plus, many tree farms often offer hot chocolate or cider, fresh baked cookies, and tons of fun! (Not to mention, wandering around looking for the perfect tree is a great way to get a little exercise!)
2. Ski/snowboard weekend: We’re pretty lucky to live in a climate where skiing and snowboarding is an option. There are so many great resorts around, and we are just itching to book a weekend away to hit the slopes. Skiing or snowboarding, whichever you prefer, is exhilarating. Plus, spending the evenings cozying up in a cute chalet after a day on the slopes and maybe enjoying a hot tub or sauna sounds like the perfect weekend away.
3. Ice skating: We have been saying for years now that we’d love to go to the Arrowhead skating trail. It’s an adorable ice trail in Arrowhead provincial park. This year may finally be the year for us! If not, there are also so many outdoor rink options that are almost as cute but certainly just as fun. Look around your local area for options! Whether it’s something big like Toronto’s Nathan Philips Square or Natrel Rink at the Harbourfront Center (check out Kar’s cute shot from there last year – it’s no wonder we’re eager!), Ottawa’s Rideau Canal, a small local park’s outdoor rink, or a frozen pond, ice skating is so fun and is a great way to stay active! Plus, it makes a great date!
4. Winter craft beer festival: It may sound a little weird to attend a craft beer festival in the dead of winter, but we’re dying to attend one this year. It’s such a fun, unexpected event in the winter time. We’ll be donning our mittens of course, holding onto cold beverages while out in the freezing weather. While we’re not encouraging a day spent bingeing, we think that a few delicious craft brews enjoyed in moderation is totally ok! Plus, it’s a great way to discover new local beers and support local breweries.
5. Christmas market: We completely gushed last year about how much we love the Christmas market. For us, that mean’s Toronto’s Distillery District Christmas market. Our feelings haven’t changed and it definitely made it’s way onto our bucket list for this year. And, in fact, we’ve already crossed it off because it was one of the stops for our Girls’ Christmas! The market is great for a girls night or a date night. There are so many vendors, tons of delicious food, and of course all the shops and restaurants are open as well. The twinkling lights and atmosphere really set the tone for a great night!
6. Spa day: Sometimes there’s nothing more relaxing than a day at the spa! Especially in the colder, darker months, it can be just the thing to lift your spirits. We’re thinking we may try and tack on a spa day to our ski weekend. What could be better than following up a day at the slopes with a day in the hot springs?
7. Checking out a sporting event: If you manage to get your guy to take you on a romantic ski and spa weekend, consider treating him to a sporting event! Winter is so fun because the NFL season is coming to an intense close, the NHL and NBA seasons are in full swing, and all the smaller leagues are on the go too. Pick your favourite team or sport and check out a game. Whether you’re a sports fan or not, the atmosphere is always different at the event than watching on TV and it can make for a great night out.
8. Read a book: There are SO many books on our must-read list right now. It’s particularly dominated by funny chicks. We loved Amy Schumer’s book, The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo, so much so that we included it in our holiday gift guide. Next up are Anna Kendrick’s Scrappy Little Nobody and Lauren Graham’s Talking as Fast as I Can. These are really just the tip of the ice berg though, because we love spending Saturday mornings with a good book!
9. Snow day: Snowed in? We love the idea of everything being quilted in a fluffy blanket of snow, and being stuck inside next to a wood fire. Spending the day by the cozy fire, cuddled in pjs and throw pillows sounds a bit like heaven when life gets so busy. Make it better by bingeing on Netflix or roasting s’mores over the fire!
10. Try something new: What better time to try something new than when life’s pace has slowed a little during January and February? Getting out and taking a class (we’re thinking calligraphy) or trying a new sport (curling) could be just thing! Maybe you’ve been dying to try your hand at a new, challenging recipe. Why not learn something new and have fun while doing it? Grab a friend and explore classes you’ve considered in the past but not made time for, or invite them over to try out that new recipe. You’ll thank yourself!
These are just a few of our ideas but in no way encompass all the fun to be had. Think sledding, cross-country skiing, riding snowmobiles, trying out hearty and healthy new comfort food recipes. There is so much fun to be had and we can’t wait to start crossing things off our list!